Wednesday, 11 November 2015

U-17 FIFA World Cup: Buhari to Redeem 30-year-old Pledge to Eaglets

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday promised that his administration will fulfill the promises made 30 years ago to the batch of Nigeria's Golden Eaglets who first won the Under-17 World Cup in 1985.

In a statement released by Mal. Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, President Buhari said it had been brought to his attention that a directive which he gave to the state governments during a reception held at Dodan Barracks with the players, in celebration of their outstanding victory at the time had not been complied with.

"It is a pity that those promises were never fulfilled," he said.

"It is unfortunate that our players, who did us proud on the world stage went unrewarded for their efforts, despite a presidential directive to the state administrators that they be honored in their home states."

The statement noted that, of the various promises made to the players at the time, only the Federal Government fulfilled its own commitment--by sponsoring the players on a trip to watch the 1986 World Cup, which took place in Mexico.


The houses, scholarships and naming of streets after each player were supposed to have been catered for by the states.

The statement noted that shortly after the commitment was given, the Military administration under General Muhammadu Buhari was replaced and that despite repeated representations made to succeeding governments by the players and their officials, the promises made were left unfulfilled.

"I apologize for whatever embarrassment and disillusionment in your country these raised and then dashed hopes may have caused you," he said.

"My government will do all within its power to remedy the situation." 

No comments:

Post a Comment